So I finished
Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald. Overall, it was a good book..not the best ever, but good! I really enjoyed that Fitzgerald gave readers a true insight to for Persian women. She vividly described their trials and tribulations in finding a male companion and how it is not really at all their choice. The main character, Tamila Shoroush, was given a one way ticket and visa by her parents in order for her to find freedom and happiness. So for the three months that Tamila was "visiting" her sister Maryam, she was on a mission to find a Persian man to marry and essentially allow her to stay in the US. The story goes on and reveals the hardships women have and how the middle eastern/Muslim culture is far more different than the American lifestyle. I do believe Fitzgerald painted that picture very well. Even with details such as the laugh lines women have from being genuinely happy and how Persian women must struggle to have lines like those. It was definitely an eye-opener to anyone who was unaware of how brutal women can be treated in Iran. I did like the story however, I felt the ending kind of just left us hanging. While Tamila got her happy ending, I felt that the readers were left wanting more...and maybe not in a bad way, but in a way where I wanted to follow the characters through their newest journey.
Now I am currently reading
The Five People You'll Meet in Heaven By Mitch Albom. This book is a classic, seeing that everyone has read it BUT me. I look forward to reading it and hope it lives up to the greatness everyone says it is!....more to come later!
No comments:
Post a Comment