Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summerstage!


Yesterday I had the pleasure of volunteering at Central Park's Summerstage concert series. Last night's performance was by a group called Complexions Contemporary Ballet. This wasn't like your conservative tutu-wearing ballet--the dancers were modern and loose. Their motive is to dance with no boundaries. It was beautiful and moving and I loved every minute of it.

My job as a volunteer was to attend the stand at the entrance and hand out programs and Summerstage schedules. I also had to ask for donations-seeing that without donations there would be no Summerstage at all. All the events held there are free except for a few larger acts, but overall its a wonderful experience on a cheap budget. I met some awesome people, all with the same goals/major, hoping that volunteering at Summerstage would better their opportunities in the real world. I also got to watch the show while working--so fun!! i Felt like I was back in college and was a member of the Crew in SCPAB again :)

Overall it was a great night. SO many donations--I was surprised honestly. In a tough economy and at a free event in NYC, I seriously didn't expect to see many people donating over a dollar. However we had various people hand in 20's, 10's and 5's! Not going to lie it made me smile and I was happy that people wanted to support the arts and Summerstage! Also the event brought all walks of life. I was expecting an older more mature crowd at a ballet, but there was all ages at this event. It was brilliant! My favorite piece was their U2 compilation called 'Rise.' After having a crappy day, this piece brighten my spirits. I loveee U2 and the dance they created to go along to it was beautiful.

Such a fine time, I suggest everyone to get out to Summerstage and enjoy a free event this summer! Most of all- DONATE :)


No comments:

Post a Comment